Areas Of Practice
- Professional Liability
- Trucking & Transportation
- Auto Liability Defense
- Employment Practices Liability & Civil Rights
- General Civil Litigation & Insurance Defense
- Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith
- Products Liability
Jay Thaw is experienced in the defense of a full range of property and casualty claims. He defends insurance companies and their insureds in motor vehicle accidents covered by personal or commercial auto policies. In the area of medical malpractice and professional liability claims, he often represents hospitals, physicians, long term care facilities, and nursing homes.
Mr. Thaw has significant experience defending cases in the trucking, transportation and logistics industries. He also manages premises and general liability claims, as well as construction-related accidents.
He is actively involved in Savannah and Georgia economic development initiatives. In this regard, he assists business clients in government and regulatory matters involving all aspects of the legislative, administrative, and regulatory policy-making process.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Thaw served as chief policy and governmental affairs counsel for Mag Mutual Insurance Company in Atlanta. In that role, he established and administered political action committees in Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia.
Thaw, a member of the Georgia Defense Lawyers Association and the Defense Research Institute, earned his law degree from Georgia State University and an undergraduate degree in real estate from the University of Georgia. He is the former vice president of the Golden Isles Bulldog Club and vice chairman of the Forsyth Farmers Market Board of Directors.
A native of St. Simons Island, Thaw lives on Isle of Hope with his wife, Holly.
- Georgia, 2012
- United States District Court
- Northern District of Georgia, 2012
- Middle District of Georgia, 2016
Awards & Recognition
- Listed in Georgia Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star” in Personal Injury – Medical Malpractice: Defense, 2019
- State Bar of Georgia, 2012 – Present
- Savannah Bar Association, 2016 – Present
- Defense Research Institute, 2012 – Present
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association, 2012 – Present
- Georgia Society of Healthcare Risk Managers, 2012 – Present
- Georgia Motor Trucking Association, 2016 – Present
Many cases overlap several areas of law. As a full service law firm, we are able to recognize how one legal discipline impacts another. We work as a team on complex issues that require knowledge of a variety of state and federal laws. This multi-disciplinary approach allows clients to receive the large-firm advantage of access to multiple attorneys in a wide scope of practice areas as well as the hands-on customer service offered by a boutique law firm. In addition to civil litigation, employment law, workers’ compensation defense, commercial law, construction law and appeals, our firm also handles professional liability claims.
Our bilingual staff is available to assist with immigration matters, including consular and removal defenses.