When did you first know you wanted to be an attorney? What drew you to this career?
- When I was a sophomore in high school, I participated in a high school program where I “shadowed” an attorney for a day. Afterward, I applied for an internship with a local appellate lawyer, Shannon McLin Carlyle. Upon completion of that internship, I was offered a file clerk position at Ms. Carlyle’s firm. I worked part-time at the firm until I graduated from high school. That experience solidified my desire to become an attorney.
What personal trait most aided you in your career?
- My attention to detail and work ethic. I believe the way you do anything is the way you do everything. I give everything I take on 100% of my effort. I don’t believe in luck; I believe in hard work.
What do you find particularly challenging about your practice? How do you overcome these challenges?
- Balancing work and life, especially if you have a family. In my household, my husband and I are both in rather time-consuming and often stressful professions. We also have two children, a six-year-old daughter and three-year-old son. Boyd & Jenerette has provided flexibility in this aspect that I believe is unheard of in most law firms. I truly believe this firm is a pioneer in that regard.
What drew you to Boyd & Jenerette?
- Initially, in 2011, the firm’s reputation in the legal community. As I have grown with the firm, I have become only more dedicated to it because of the progressiveness of the firm. The firm was flexible with working arrangements well before the pandemic of 2020. I have also continued to be impressed with the number of female leaders in the firm, often paving the way for flexibility and building a strong force of female attorneys as a result.
Thus far in your career, what are you most proud of accomplishing?
- Practicing law is a constant evolution. I am always learning and I am always humbled but, I’m also proud of the path that brought me to being a partner at this firm.
What do you most hope to accomplish in the future? Where do you see yourself in five or ten years?
- I hope to continue to develop and expand the firm’s coverage department. I hope to become known by insurance professionals as a diligent and skilled attorney in regard to coverage issues.
What is your favorite TV show?
- With children ages 3 and 6, I don’t watch a lot of TV...unless you count something on the Disney Channel or Nick Jr. I was shockingly in love with Game of Thrones and massively disappointed with the ending!
What is your favorite vacation spot?
- Anywhere with my husband and kids; we love warm climates and enjoy the beach, boating, fishing, etc. I’m hoping to get a paddleboard soon!
What are your hobbies?
- Spending time with my husband and children is always my top priority. In the summer, we are at the beach almost every weekend. I enjoy running and exercising. I find it therapeutic! I enjoy a good book but, find I have less and less time to read for enjoyment!
Do you have any pets?
- Sure do, a 12 year old bulldog, Stella. She has been with my husband and I since she was 4 months old. She is the laziest and sweetest dog you will ever meet. She also snores. Loudly.
Are you a morning person or a night-owl?
- Morning person, hands down. My weekday alarm rings at 4:15 a.m. I have found that no matter what happens the rest of the day, no matter what arises that may derail my daily “to do” list, those morning hours are critical to success.
Do you have a hidden talent?
- If I do, it’s still hidden!