Shining A Light On Success: An In-Depth Look At Senior Associate Carla M. Newman
February 28, 2023 by boydjenerette on News
Meet Carla M. Newman, an accomplished attorney with a wealth of experience in the legal industry at Boyd & Jenerette, P.A. Ms. Newman focuses her practice in the areas of auto liability defense, insurance defense, and general litigation. Her extensive background and dedication to her clients make her an invaluable member of the legal community.
In this attorney spotlight article, we will take a closer look at Carla’s background, experience, and approach to her work, and explore what sets her apart from other attorneys in her field.
Can you tell us about your background and how you made the decision to go to law school?
- I had a professor in college that I really respected and enjoyed learning from. She encouraged me to attend law school. It is a testament of the power of encouragement.
What is your day-to-day job like, and what kinds of long-term projects are on your plate?
- My day-to-day job involves defending lawsuits, taking depositions, attending mediation, and preparing reports. My current post pressing project on my plate is preparing for an April trial.
What do you enjoy most about practicing law at Boyd & Jenerette?
- I enjoy the opportunity to learn from talented lawyers each day.
When did you begin practicing law?
- I began practicing in 2011.
What do you do for fun?
- I enjoy reading and exercising.
When did you decide you wanted to be a lawyer?
- I decided I wanted to be a lawyer in college.
What is an item on your bucket list?
- I would like to learn to play chess so that my eight-year-old can stop beating me in every match.
What did you want to be when you grew up?
- I wanted to be a schoolteacher like my mother.
Do you have any hidden talents, hobbies, or a fun fact?
- I am an Orange Theory Athlete.
What are you most proud of, professionally and/or personally?
- I am most proud of being professionally agile, specifically constantly learning new things that contribute to my professional development.
Who has been your biggest mentor?
- I have had so many strong intelligent women that have contributed to my career, guided me along the way, and mentored me.
If you could tell a younger version of yourself something knowing what you know now, what would it be?
What are your goals for the next year?
- My goals for the next year are to try one case and continue acquiring knowledge.
About Carla M. Newman
Carla Newman is a Senior Associate Attorney in Boyd & Jenerette’s Jacksonville office. She practices auto liability defense, insurance defense and general litigation.
Prior to joining the firm, she was a Senior Trial Attorney for an insurance company, providing defense for motor vehicle claims. Ms. Newman defended bodily injury claims, collaborated with the claims department to discuss litigation strategies, and facilitated the settlement of circuit civil lawsuits.
Ms. Newman gained trial experience as an Assistant State Attorney with the Office of the State Attorney in the Eighth Judicial Circuit. She began her career as an Assistant State Attorney in the misdemeanor division handling county court criminal cases. Ms. Newman was then promoted to the felony division where she first and second chaired several jury trials to verdict.
Ms. Newman attended the College of New Rochelle and graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science before attending Florida Coastal School of Law. While attending Florida Coastal School of Law, Ms. Newman was a member of the Mock Trial Team, and an editor for the Journal of Policy and Justice. Ms. Newman holds her L.L.M. from Western New England University School of Law.