When did you first know you wanted to be an attorney? What drew you to this career?
- My favorite course in college was philosophy. I enjoy thought experiments and the idea that two polarizing points of view can be persuasive and difficult to refute. The law does not lend itself to right and wrong answers all the time. The law similarly allows you to explore the grey area.
What personal trait most aided you in your career?
- Collegiality. The practice of law is antagonistic by nature. The ability to remain professional and considerate leads to good results and being viewed in a positive light by judges, clients, and opponents.
What do you find most rewarding about your practice?
- The ability to shape Florida law. As an appellate practitioner, I have an opportunity to present arguments to the appellate courts, which result in opinions creating legal precedent in Florida.
What do you find particularly challenging about your practice? How do you overcome these challenges?
- Our appellate department does not only handle appeals. In fact, much of our practice is litigation support. It is difficult to put in the necessary time to craft a lengthy legal argument carefully and methodically on appeal while balancing the breakneck pace of litigation in trial courts. Multitasking is key.
What drew you to Boyd & Jenerette?
- As an appellate attorney, Boyd & Jenerette’s established appellate department led by Kansas Gooden was an ideal fit. The family-oriented nature of the firm solidified my interest.
Thus far in your career, what are you most proud of accomplishing?
- Becoming a Florida Bar board certified appellate practitioner. There are only 205 board certified appellate lawyers in Florida. It is an honor to be among them.
Can you tell us the most unusual incident or funny story - that has happened to you in your career?
- I handled an appeal of a jury verdict following a wrongful death action involving a hit-and-run. The driver and his parents were all insureds under an auto policy issued by a client of my old law firm. I was tasked with representing the driver on appeal. He was not at trial (and we could not contact him) because he fled the country and wound up on America’s Most Wanted..
What do you most hope to accomplish in the future? Where do you see yourself in five or ten years?
- Hopefully, arguing before The Supreme Court of the United States!
What is your favorite band?
- Arcade Fire and Radiohead
What is your favorite song?
- Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
What is your favorite sports team?
- Baltimore Ravens
What is your favorite movie?
- The Social Network and Pulp Fiction
What is your favorite TV show?
- Lost, The Leftovers, and Dark
What is your favorite vacation spot?
- I loved cruising the Caribbean, but COVID may have ended that permanently
What are your hobbies?
- Watching movies, bike riding, swimming, and playing with my 6-year-old daughter
Do you have any pets?
- I have a crazy Corgi named Milo
Are you a morning person or a night-owl?