In our latest attorney spotlight, we introduce Jessica M. Perot, an associate attorney at Boyd & Jenerette. Ms. Perot focuses her practice on first party property insurance defense.
In this attorney spotlight article, we will delve into Jessica's background, experience, and unique work approach, exploring the remarkable qualities that set her apart from her peers within the legal profession.
Can you tell us about your background and how you made the decision to go to law school?
- I was born and raised in Tampa, attended Florida State University, and then went to Stetson for Law School. I have always had a strong desire to become an attorney.
What is your role as an attorney at Boyd & Jenerette?
- I work as an associate attorney in the windshield litigation department.
What is your day-to-day job like, and what kinds of long-term projects are on your plate?
- I manage a substantial number of windshield cases throughout Florida, primarily focusing on those within the Hillsborough County Circuit. My responsibilities encompass handling motion work and conducting hearings. In the long run, I aspire to collaborate with the insurance industry in addressing the years-long backlog of windshield litigation cases that Florida is grappling with.
What is the most challenging aspect of your job?
- Striving to manage a substantial caseload where plaintiffs have continuously filed thousands of cases over the years.
What do you enjoy most about practicing law at Boyd & Jenerette?
- I thoroughly enjoy engaging in oral arguments during hearings, savoring the experience of being in the courtroom. I appreciate the close-knit collaboration among everyone, particularly given my remote work setup. It's gratifying to witness us all maintaining a closely interconnected working environment.
When did you begin practicing law?
- I began practicing law in 2014.
What do you do for fun?
- I love to read, listen to a variety of music, travel, and spend time with my family.
When did you decide you wanted to be a lawyer?
- I have always wanted to be an attorney. It was my first pick!
What is an item on your bucket list?
- Visit more countries around the world.
Do you have any hidden talents, hobbies, or a fun fact?
- I speak three languages and I am currently learning a fourth.
What are you most proud of, professionally and/or personally?
- Accomplishing my dream of being an attorney. It was always my dream.
Who has been your biggest mentor?
- My godfather. He is an attorney and I have always looked up to him. He has always helped guide me both professionally and personally.
If you could tell a younger version of yourself something knowing what you know now, what would it be?
- It’s the everyday struggles that get you to the future you have always dreamed of, live in the moment.
What are your goals for the next year?
- I hope to grow with the firm, hone my civil litigation skills, and stay happy.
About Jessica M. Perot
Jessica Perot focuses her practice on first party property insurance defense. Prior to joining the firm Mrs. Perot was a prosecutor for the Office of the State Attorney in Hillsborough County Florida, for eight years.
Jessica was born and raised in Tampa, Florida. She graduated, summa cum laude, from the University of South Florida with a double major in History and Criminology. Jessica then obtained her J.D. from Stetson University College of Law in 2014. While in law school, she worked as an intern in a large civil firm, interned for the Honorable Mark Wolfe, and participated in a clinical with the Office of the State Attorney.
In her free time, Jessica enjoys spending time with her family, traveling, and volunteering with Guardian Ad Litem.