Shining a Light on Success: An In-Depth Look at Senior Associate Kimberly J. Woods
January 30, 2023 by boydjenerette on News
Meet Kimberly J. Woods, an accomplished attorney at Boyd & Jenerette, P.A. Kimberly has extensive experience in the field of insurance defense and has built a reputation for her dedication to providing quality work product and achieving successful outcomes for her clients. She has a proven track record and has a unique ability to navigate complex legal issues with ease. Kimberly is a valuable member of our team and we’re thrilled to have her as part of our firm. She is known for her attention to detail and her ability to approach each case with a personal touch. She brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the table and is committed to providing the highest level of representation for her clients.
In addition to her work as an attorney, Ms. Woods is actively involved in various professional organizations. She is a dedicated member of The Florida Bar Association and the Jacksonville Bar Association and has held leadership roles in both organizations. Additionally, Ms. Woods is currently serving as President-Elect for the Jacksonville Women Lawyers Association along with being an Administrative Officer at the D.W. Perkins Bar Association. Through her involvement in these groups, Ms. Woods stays up to date on the latest developments in her field and can network with other legal professional from around the state. Her active participation in professional organizations is a testament to her commitment to staying at the forefront of her field and providing the highest level of service to her clients.
In this attorney spotlight article, we will take a closer look at Kimberly’s background, experience, and approach to her work, and explore what sets her apart from other attorneys in her field.
Can you tell us about your background and how you made the decision to go to law school?
- I am originally from Richmond, California but moved to Florida in 2009. After graduating college that same year, I intended to attend law school, but due to the recession, I instead worked in the construction industry for a couple of years. On New Year’s Day 2011, I resolved to pursue law school, and began attending in August of that year.
What is your role as an attorney at Boyd & Jenerette?
- Once a lawsuit is filed and we receive an assignment, I prepare a response to the complaint, discovery responses, etc. Additionally, I begin to investigate a multitude of litigation issues that will help to bring the file/claim to conclusion.
What is your day-to-day job like, and what kinds of long-term projects are on your plate?
- My day-to-day changes frequently, it depends on whether I have a deposition, hearing, or mediation. Normally, I start my workday at 10 am so I can spend time with my daughter in the morning.
What is the most challenging aspect of your job?
- The most challenging aspect of my job is when I represent an insured who genuinely made a mistake and they are afraid that they are going to lose everything (house, car, job, etc.). I think sometimes people forget that there are real people involved in a lot of these lawsuits.
What do you enjoy most about practicing law at Boyd & Jenerette?
- The camaraderie. I feel like my co-workers are the absolute best. I know if I need coverage in a pinch, there is someone that will happily step in. We are all invested in each other and our respective futures and goals.
When did you begin practicing law?
What do you do for fun?
- Fun…what’s that…kidding. For fun, I love to watch movies and hang out with my family.
When did you decide you wanted to be a lawyer?
- I was in middle school.
What is an item on your bucket list?
- Take my family to Europe. I have always wanted to go see the Jaguars play at Wembley!
What did you want to be when you grew up?
- I have had a change of career aspirations over the years, going from being a missionary, to wanting to be a teacher, and finally settling on becoming a lawyer. My desire to become a lawyer has been consistent since the age of 12.
Do you have any hidden talents, hobbies, or a fun fact?
- I obtained my scuba diving certification in 2010, however, I have not been on a dive for around 8 years. Currently, I am looking for a dive partner.
Who has been your biggest mentor?
- Personally, my role models are my mother and sister. My mother worked her way up to Claims Supervisor after working as an adjuster since I was a year old. Similarly, my sister Tiffany is also a hard worker, balancing the role of a mother of four boys with her job. Professionally, my role model is Cyndy Timmer. I met her during my first year of law school and she mentored me, providing guidance and support in my career. She taught me the practical skills necessary to succeed as a lawyer during my formative years in law school.
If you could tell a younger version of yourself something knowing what you know now, what would it be?
- Just keep going. It is going to get hard, but you can (and will) power through.
What are your goals for the next year?
- Take my daughter to Disneyworld!
About Kimberly J. Woods
Kimberly Woods is a Senior Associate Attorney in Boyd & Jenerette’s Jacksonville office. She practices auto liability defense, insurance defense and general litigation.
Ms. Woods has been recognized in Best Lawyers® Ones to Watch in America™Commercial Litigation: 2023 and listed in The National Black Lawyers list of Top 40 Under 40 in 2021. During her time in law school, Ms. Woods was awarded Best Civil Defense Team, Best Cross Examination, and Best Advocate in her Trial Practice class and participated in the 2014 Jessup International Moot Court Competition.
Ms. Woods has been a member of The Florida Bar since 2015 and Jacksonville Bar Association since 2016. She served as the chair for JBA’s Senior Holiday Project from 2017-2020, as well as heading the Law Week Naturalization Ceremony since 2017 and Rendezvous on the Rooftop from 2018 to 2023. She currently serves as the President-Elect and Treasurer for Jacksonville Women Lawyers Association and is the Administrative Officer of the D.W. Perkins Bar Association.